We are engaged in a number of initiatives with other schools and organisations and welcome enquiries from organisations who would like to forge a partnership with us.
- bursary provision
- Contribution to Charity
- Voluntary Service
- Professional Training
- Community Access
- pARTNERSHIP WORKING
We currently provide over one million pounds each year in Bursary provision to the benefit of 11% of our pupils. The average bursary given to a family covers over 78% of their fees.
20% of all the bursaries Bury Grammar gives cover 100% of that pupil's fees.
We are immensely proud to support local children and families in this way.
We broaden access to our School by offering means-tested financial support towards school fees to bright children who will thrive at BGS.
Bursaries may be awarded in the form of a discount of up to 100% on tuition fees payable, depending on the financial circumstances of applicants.
This financial support helps pupils who have the potential to succeed at BGS but would be prevented from taking up a place by their financial circumstances.
Bury Grammar pupils raise significant amounts for charity each year.
But we also know that real altruism goes far beyond raising money; it involves giving time and going out of one’s way for the benefit of others.
Many of our pupils volunteer through our extensive community service programme and by doing so make a real impact on the lives of others.
Our pupils give their time to help others.
For example, through our extensive community service programme in the Sixth Form, the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme or by helping communities in low economic developed countries through World Challenge.
Many of our pupils continue to support these good causes once the formal programme has ended and for some this experience influences what they do after leaving school.
We share best practice as a means of helping and learning from others.
We are an active partner in a number of educational forums and in June 2019 launched our Training Academy, the aim of which is to provide a small number of high quality training sessions to schools from across Bury which are from September 2019 free of charge.
Our facilities are available for use by community groups, charities, educational organisations and businesses.
We have an excellent range of facilities which are all available to third parties, including:
- A swimming pool
- All-weather pitches including a 3G pitch
- Indoor and outdoor sports facilities
- A number of Halls suitable for performances
- Music rooms
- Meeting venues
We have worked for many years with local schools and businesses in the Bury area.
In celebration of the fact that the school is 450 years old we are launching a 450 Partnerships Programme.
The aim of this is to promote high quality, high impact partnerships which benefit the local community especially children. The projects are intended to be sustainable, not ‘one offs’ and they will make a difference and matter.
SCHOOL OUTREACH PROGRAMME
Our school outreach programme involves significant contributions to other local schools in the Bury area.
- ‘This Kid Can’ Partnership with St Paul’s School, Bury.
- Partnership working with Bury Hospice.
- Partnership with the local music service.
- Our Director of Music works with a local school one day a week.
- BGS has hosted two free CPD days for Bury primary science leaders as part of a collaboration with The University Manchester and Derby High School.
- The school hosted The University of Manchester’s SEERIH Annual Primary Science Conference in November 2018. BGS offered staff costs free of charge and 130 primary teachers from across Greater Manchester attended this sponsored event.
- Our Primary Science Coordinator is working with the deputy heads at another local school to offer more in depth science teaching to all pupils in the school.
- BGS hosts a number of sporting events for the Bury Junior Sports Association over the course of the year.
- Provided a platform for football participation for nearly 400 children in the Bury area which we have been very proud to do owing to our outstanding sports facilities. In addition, we have provided referees for these matches form our staff and pupil body.