Our Senior Teams
- Mrs J Anderson - Principal, Headmistress of Bury Grammar School Girls
- Mr D Cassidy - Vice Principal, Headmaster of Bury Grammar School Boys, Head of Staff
- Mrs V Leaver - Assistant Principal, Director of Academic Provision
- Mrs J Stevens - Bursar and Clerk to the Governors
- Mrs C Howard - Head of Kindergarten, Infant School & Girls' Junior School; Acting Head of Boys' Junior School
Jo grew up in Leicester, went to the University of Leeds to study Modern Languages and, after having lived in both France and Italy, began her teaching career at Leeds Girls’ High School. She moved to the north-west in 1999, taking up a post at Stockport Grammar School, after which she moved on to The Queen’s School in Chester in 2002 to be Head of Modern Languages. Four years as Deputy Head of the Manchester Grammar School’s Sixth Form followed and immediately prior to coming to Bury Grammar School, Jo had also the privilege of being Head of the Girls’ Division at The King’s School in Macclesfield.
As Vice Principal, amongst other responsibilities, Devin oversees all matters relating to staff and also coordinates preparing the school for inspection. He is a qualified schools inspector for the Independent Schools Inspectorate and regards this role to be both a privilege and one which is hugely beneficial to BGS. He has two daughters who have both attended BGS and are currently at university and in his spare time enjoys reading and walking in the mountains of Snowdonia and the Lake District. He has led the school's World Challenge expeditions to Madagascar, Central Asia, Central America, Morocco, South East Asia and Tanzania and describes this as being real personal development and resilience development in pupils.
Devin thoroughly enjoys continuing to teach Chemistry to A Level in addition to coaching potential applicants for Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science.
Chrissy is married with two daughters, both of whom attended BGS and are now embarking on careers in education and the health service. She has a keen interest in travel, enjoying trips with her family and participates in Netball and Pilates.
- Mrs H Hammond - Head of Sixth Form
- Mr A Dennis - Director of Operations
- Mrs H Campion - Director of Staff Development and Enrichment
- Mr R Lees - Deputy Head, Pastoral BGS Boys
- Mrs R Newbold - Deputy Head, Pastoral BGS Girls
- Mrs K Lewis - Director of Studies
- Mrs C Lynskey - Director of Communications & School Information
- Miss K Gore - Director of Arts & Culture
Alan has a passion for outdoor learning and helped establish the Boys' Duke of Edinburgh Award unit in 2007. He has led overseas expeditions to Morocco, Iceland and kayaking in Norway. In his spare time he enjoys walking in the mountains, especially those in North Wales, and playing guitar.
Kate is a firm believer in the benefits of partnership working and in the past has been involved in an Ogden Partnership composed of local schools and recently helped to organise a large conference at BGS for 140 primary teachers. Enthusiastic about Science and specifically Physics, she is keen to engage all pupils in the subject that has held her fascination for the past 20 years. Kate has a young family which occupies much of her free time; her children are keen swimmers, climbers and mischief-makers which keeps her busy!
Claire Lynskey joined Bury Grammar School in 2014 as a member of the Finance Team before taking on the role of Data Manager and now progressing to Director of Communications and School Information. After graduating from Leeds University, with a BA hons degree in Business Management, Claire worked and travelled in Australia and New Zealand gaining experience in IT and system support roles, working in telecommunications and at The Leukaemia Foundation of Western Australia. After returning to the UK Claire settled in Bury and for 12 years worked for Children's Services at Bury Council. Here she managed some of the key information systems and confidential safeguarding data across all divisions of Children's Services. Claire has two children who are both educated at BGS.
- Mr D Newbury - Deputy Head of Sixth Form
- Ms H Greene - Head of Careers
- Mrs C McDermott - Head of Research, Development and Training
- Mr P O'Sullivan - Numeracy Coordinator
- Mr T Seed - Literacy Coordinator
- Mr S Sheikh - Deputy Head of Boys' Junior School
- Mrs S Aylin - Deputy Head of Girls' Junior School
- Mrs A Moran - Deputy Head of Infant School
- Mrs F Gray - Deputy Head of Primary (Administration)
- Mrs A Cloke - PA to the Principal & Office Manager
- Mr J Minta - Senior Teacher (Juniors)
- Miss S Mahon - Head of Kindergarten
Alison is originally from Edinburgh, but moved to Bury with her husband in 1989. She joined BGS back in 2001 as Headmaster’s Secretary in the Boys’ School where she worked for over 14 years, firstly for Keith Richards, then becoming Headmaster’s PA to Steven Harvey in 2006. In 2013 she became the Office Manager. She left BGS at the beginning of 2016 to pursue other ventures, but returned in October 2017 to take up post as PA to the Principal based in the Girls’ School. From December 2019 she has taken on the additional role of Office Manager taking responsibility for all of our school offices. She is married with one grown-up son, and one grandson.