At Bury Grammar School, every pupil and member of staff belongs to a house.
The Houses have a family atmosphere, with pupils from all year groups coming together regularly for their House’s assembly. The House system creates competition, promotes good work and behaviour and encourages teamwork that instils a sense of belonging. House events provide pupils with many opportunities to take on responsibilities, leadership positions and offers plenty of scope for developing organisational skills and ensuring creative talents are put to good use.
The House System is designed to incorporate the School's aims and is an integral part of our school community.
The annual programme of house events extends far beyond sport. It also includes music, quizzes, cooking and debates with new competitions regularly added to the School calendar.
HULME is named after William Hulme, a wealthy Manchester lawyer and landowner who died in 1691. In his will he set up a charitable trust which, over the centuries has given money to many worthy causes, including local schools such as Bury.
HOWLETT is named after Revd William Henry Howlett (1879 - 1919). It has been recorded that Mr Howlett was a strong, energetic character who was able to take a firm grip on the school and give it a new sense of direction and purpose at this time. Apparently, he celebrated his appointment as Head at Bury Grammar School by getting married in July of 1879.
KAY is named after the Reverend Roger Kay, who had re-founded the school in 1726 with a generous bequest and in honour of whom Founders' Day is held each May.
DERBY is named in honour of the Earl of Derby, who donated the land on which the school stands. The house was originally named Wood, after another school benefactor, but it was quickly changed to Derby.
KITCHENER is named after Miss Jane Penelope Kitchener (1884 - 1919) who was the first BGSG Headmistress. During her time as Headmistress, Latin, French, Science and Mathematics were all taught at Bury Grammar School Girls and also English, Music Divinity, Needlework and Games.
NEILD is named after Miss Nellie Neild, Oxford MA (1919 - 1940). Miss Neild was keen to promote that girls should get the same opportunities as boys, that even if it was not necessary for them to earn a living the value of being independent was immeasurable. If they wanted to be really happy they should serve others. Work was essential to a happy life.
PERIGO is named after Miss Grace Perigo BA (1940 - 1954). Miss Perigo inspired BGS girls with the ideals of love and service. During the war knitting for the troops and the Merchant Navy, the making of camouflage nets, financial and material help to refugees and those in bombed areas were part of this service.
LESTER is named after Miss Dorothy Lester J.P., BSc 1 (1954 - 1979). The Dorothy Lester Travel Scholarship is awarded by the OGA in memory of a much loved headmistress to a pupil whose proposal to travel, not necessarily abroad, most commends itself to them for its initiative, enterprise and educational value. There is a continuing tradition of helping others and supporting charities which has always been a part in the education of BGSG.