BGS girls celebrate outstanding GCSE grades with their families: results are up at every level compared with last year.
There were smiles all around at Bury Grammar School when Year 11 pupils came in to school with their parents to collect their GCSE results. It has been a fantastic summer of exam successes at BGSG and we are absolutely thrilled for all our pupils who have grades to be proud of. The BGS winning combination of high aspirations, excellent teaching, a warm and positive environment and strong home-school partnerships has struck gold again this summer... and long may this continue!
The ‘highlights’ are:
- 65% of BGS girls’ grades are at the coveted A*/A level. 14 girls achieved the new prestigious Grade 9 (or ‘A* plus’) while five pupils achieved two Grade 9s
- Two girls achieved the equivalent of 11 A* including two grade 9s
- 11 girls achieved A*/A in all of their subjects. 60% of girls have a GCSE profile with an average of A grades. Over 84% of Geography pupils achieved A*/A
- More than 70% of pupils from the following departments scored A*/A: Chemistry, Religious Studies, Biology, Spanish, Drama and Computing.
- 53% of pupils who sat the challenging Further Maths paper achieved A*/ A.
Girls’ grades improved at every level compared with last year, in a year in which there has been a fall nationally in the number of top grades awarded. These outstanding results are testimony to BGS girls’ talents and focus and to their teachers’ unwavering enthusiasm and belief in them. Everyone is delighted to see such hard-working girls succeed.
Praising the commitment of all staff and students, Headmistress, Mrs Jo Anderson, commented, “I am absolutely thrilled for all our pupils who have achieved such magnificent successes today and delighted for their teachers who have worked so hard to put everything in place to enable our young people to shine. Many of our pupils have exceeded all expectations today and to see an increase in the number of top grades compared with last year, bucking the national trend, is very pleasing. We are so proud of our Year 11s: this is a year group for whom so much is possible as they enter BGS Sixth Form and all of us are utterly committed to ensuring they continue to thrive.”
The majority of our Year 11 Pupils will continue into Year 12 in BGS Sixth Form.